For those who can’t eat dairy or choose not to, nutritional yeast is a wonderful and nutritious food ingredient that imparts a natural cheese taste to any dish. It is no wonder there are many many versions of vegan cheese sauces out there using this ingredient. Nutritional yeast is natural source of many B vitamins.
I was so excited last night when I tried my own version and it turned out to be superbly delicious! Many existing recipes contain flour, Becel margarine and almond milk. I wanted to replace all these ingredients with healthier options to create a recipe that matches my admittedly very high standards. If you are curious about my views on almond milk visit my blog on that matter.
So without further ado, here is my receipt. Bon Appetite!!
*3/4 cup water
*1/4 cup hazelnuts
*6 tbsp nutritional yeast
*1 tbsp Zen Budda Buttery-Style Spread* by RawFoodzInc (much healthier than Becel)
*1 tbsp tapioca powder (natural thickener)
*2 tsp Dijon mustard
*1/4 tsp garlic powder
*1/4 tsp onion powder
*1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Blend the Hazel nuts with the water until milky
2. Melt the vegan butter over medium heat
2. In a bowl whisk together the tapioca and hazelnut milk until all clumps are gone
3. Add milk and tapioca mixture and nutritional yeast to pot and whisk well. Reduce heat to low-medium.
4. Add Dijon, garlic powder, onion powder and salt until the sauce thickens.
Enjoy and refrigerate what you cannot use for a week or so.
*If you want to find my recipe called “Better than Butter” to make your own,here is the LINK.